You have the option of taking just the standard CHCL class for the standard $90/person, or the combined class for $135, saving 25% cost and saving about 6 hours of time compared to taking both classes separate.
CLASS SIZE IS LIMITED TO 8 STUDENTS & THEY FILL UP QUICKLY!
BE SURE TO RESERVE YOUR SEAT WITH A $40 DEPOSIT.
These classes are be conducted by an instructor with over 30 years of firearm experience, and training from the United States Marine Corps, National Rifle Association, and Benton County Sheriff’s office.
Contact us for Dates
Classes start at 10am with the Standard Certification completing around 4pm and Enhanced around 6 or 7pm.
Unless otherwise indicated, Classroom and Range are located at the HAFTA academy: 8489 W. McNelly Rd, Bentonville
Reserve your spot with a $40 non-refundable deposit is required to reserve your seat in a class. (Deposits will be credited to the total class price)
View CHCL Class Schedule
Complete the Arkansas State Police Online Application
CHCL Class Details
What to Bring:
- *Pen and paper for notes
- Online Application
- *Your firearm and at least 50 rounds of ammo
- (Firearm available for loan, and Ammo to purchase if you do not have your own.)
Enhanced CHCL Class Details
The AR Enhanced CHCL (E-CHCL) is an endorsement to the standard AR-CHCL.
YOU MUST HAVE YOUR STANDARD AR-CHCL TO BE ABLE TO RECEIVE YOUR AR E-CHCL ENDORSEMENT.
WHAT is the E-CHCL ENDORSEMENT and what does it do for me?
The AR E-CHCL gives the Licensee the ability to carry and possess a concealed handgun in more locations than the standard AR CHCL.
Unless specifically listed on the prohibited places list, or when signage is present, possession of a valid
AR E-CHCL enables the holder to possess and carry a concealed handgun in the following locations:
- Publicly owned buildings and facilities
- State Capitol grounds and the State Capitol Building
- Any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity
- Any meeting place of the General Assembly or a committee of the General Assembly
- Any state office
- Athletic events
- A portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises
- A portion of an establishment where beer or light wine is consumed on the premises
- Inside the passenger terminal of an airport
- Any church or other place of worship
- Any place where a parade or demonstration requiring a permit is being held, even when the licensee is a participant in the parade or demonstration.
- The buildings and grounds of a public university, college, or community college.
Laws do change and there are still places that are prohibited even for an AR E-CHCL holder. You will learn about these in class and also learn where you can confirm the latest updates to the law.
What are the requirements for the AR E-CHCL?
- An existing valid AR CHCL
- 5-6 hours of ASP approved classroom instruction
- A maximum 2 hour timed, live fire range qualification
- The applicant must complete the live-fire proficiency qualification obtaining a score of 35/50 or 70% overall
Once you have satisfactorily completed the AR E-CHCL class, you may upgrade your Standard AR CHCL by submitting a properly completed AR E-CHCL training form and the license replacement fees to the ASP licensing division.
The replacement fee paid to the ASP is IN ADDITION to the class fee.
The ASP fee (subject to change) is currently $15 ($7.50 for 65 and older).
This fee includes the 5-6 hour classroom course and 2-hour live fire qualification.
What to bring to class:
Each student will need to bring the following to class:
- Your completed ASP CHCL application if you don’t have a standard CHCL yet (Online Application)
- Notepad and pen/pencil
- Firearm (cased and unloaded)
- Firearms are available for rent from HAFTA if needed.
- A minimum of 2 Magazines (for semi-automatic pistols) or- A speed loader for revolvers
- Eye and Ear Protection
- A minimum of 100 – 200 rounds of new factory ammunition per person
- (Qualification is 50 rounds, the extra ammo if practice or retries are needed.)
- If you do not have ammo, we have boxes of 9MM or 45acp at $15/box of 50. 200 rounds of new factory ammunition.
- A sack lunch if you want, we do have refrigerator, microwave and oven if needed.
- Your CHCL if you have one and are upgrading to enhanced
- Your Arkansas Driver’s license
How is the training AR E-CHCL different from the starndard AR-CHCL?
Training requirements for the AR E-CHCL are significantly more detailed and in-depth compared to the Standard AR CHCL. The classroom portion of the AR E-CHCL reviews AR law in more detail in addition to aspects of self-defense with a Firearm not covered in the Standard AR CHCL (see below).
Also, the AR E-CHCL requires a minimum accuracy on a timed live-fire course.
A student who successfully completes the AR E-CHCL should be much better prepared to carry a concealed Firearm responsibly and effectively while following AR law.
This higher standard is the basis for allowing AR E-CHCL holders to carry a concealed Firearm in otherwise prohibited places.
During the Classroom Portion, we will review in detail all of the required elements of the new AR E-CHCL law as prescribed by the ASP.
This will include but not be limited to:
- Explaining the law
- Prohibited Places
- Self-Defense under AR Law
- Techniques for Weapon Retention
- General Liability
- Emergent Situations in Public Locations (ex; Active Shooter)
- Campus Carry
- Non-Violent Dispute Resolution
- CHCL Rules
For the live-fire qualification course:
Stage 1: 3 yard line – 20 Rounds
- 5 shots fired in a “one shot exercise” – 2 seconds allowed for each shot
- 10 shots fired in a “two shot exercise” – 3 seconds allowed for each 2 shot sequence
- 5 shots fired in 10 seconds
Stage 2: 7 yard line – 20 rounds
- 5 shots fired in 10 seconds
- 5 shots fired in 2 stages:
- 2 shots fired in 4 seconds
- 3 shots fired in 6 seconds
- 5 shots fired in a “one shot exercise” – 3 seconds allowed for each shot
- 5 shots fired in 15 seconds
Stage 3: 15 yard line – 10 rounds
- 5 shots fired in 2 stages:
- 2 shots fired in 6 seconds
- 3 shots fired in 9 seconds
- 5 shots fired in 15 seconds
- The total number of rounds fired is 50.
- The target utilized will be a B-27 target, (supplied by HAFTA).
- The shooter will be scored “hit” or “miss.”
- A successful hit will be scored if the round fired cuts the line of the 7 ring or is within the 7 ring of the B-27 target.
What do I need to attain my Enhanced CHCL?
Persons who do not hold an AR CHCL (and are not transferring a license from another state) would need to take the basic (5 hours) and the enhanced training (8 hours) prior to submitting their application (they cannot be combined to less than an approximately 13 hour course). You would provide them with a completed training page for the basic CHCL training and a training page for the enhanced CHCL training. Everything else (fees, fingerprint cards, application processes, etc) remains the same. NOTE: A person does not have to wait to actually receive their basic license and then upgrade to the enhanced license.
Persons who hold a CHCL from another state and which to transfer it and obtain an enhanced license are only required to complete the enhanced training (basic is recommended but not required). The transfer process remains the same (paper application, fingerprint cards, fees, etc).
NOTE: You must hold an Arkansas CHCL to obtain the privileges of the Arkansas Enhanced Concealed Handgun Carry License. Persons who hold an enhanced license issued from another state will not have the same privileges as the Arkansas enhanced but it will be honored as a basic CHCL.
Persons who hold a current Arkansas CHCL and do not want to wait until renewal may complete the enhanced training, submit a completed “Add Enhanced Endorsement to Replacement License Request Form”, pay the $7.50 or $15.00 (depending on their age) and the enhanced training form to this office.
Persons who hold a current Arkansas CHCL and are adding the enhancement at renewal can complete the renewal application, submit payment and their completed enhanced training form. The enhancement endorsement will take effect on the date that the renewal license shows to be issued.
NOTE: Adding the enhancement to the CHCL does not extend the license period, it will remain the same.
Enhanced instructors who hold an Arkansas CHCL and wish to obtain the enhanced endorsement should submit the replacement form and fees and a copy of the enhanced instructor diploma.
We are working on upgrades to the ASP website that will indicate which instructors may teach the enhanced class. We will also post the enhanced training certificate form.
NOTE: At this time, holding a current Arkansas basic CHCL does not waive any portion of the enhanced training.